Sound editing help?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sound editing help?

This is a question mainly for Daxar, but if anyone else has been able to mod sounds, please help.

I've been using audacity, and I saved my sound in ogg format to overwire the SunLoop.flac.ogg. I ran the recalcSoundManifest.exe program and it did update the sndmanifest.dat. Then I compressed embed.pak. But when I ran the game, the original sun sound still played. However, the game didn't crash.

Any advice?

Daxar's picture

I think it's just adding NEW sounds that breaks everything. Modifying old ones should work.
data/items/MiniatureSun/SunLoop.flac is in resource.pak, which could well be the problem. If you make a .filelist.txt with the following lines:

data/items/MiniatureSun/SunLoop.flac
vdata/sndmanifest.dat

Compress that (after running recalcSoundManifest.exe, of course), and then modManage it, and it _should_ work. Let me know if it doesn't.

Well, now I _did_ break it. (I backed up, so it's easy to fix.) Doing what you said, this time I opened catalog 7, and when I clicked on the One Ring (replacement for the sun), it crashed. I know that the image was fine before, but now the sound is what's wrong. But in one sense, I'm getting closer, because at least I know that I'm adding the new (albeit broken) sound to the game, not running the old sound. Now I just have to figure out what sound format to save my new sound in, so it works in the game. I'm using audacity. Any advice on that? One thing I noticed is that my new sound has only one channel, whereas all the LI sounds have two channels. I think I'll try there first.

Another question. If I do get a modified sound to work, such as editing SunLoop.flac, what would be the best way to share it? Can I just make a pak like you explained above, or would the other person have to also run recalc and all that?

It works! At least for me. I had to change the quality to 3 (which you say in the README), and no more crashes. I made a mod, but I'm not sure if it can be shared this way. Anyway, it's worth a try.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81019919/onering_withsound.zip

Enjoy.